Answers from Our Experts (1)
Drinking is certainly a favorite pastime in Melbourne, and the city offers a wide range of nightlife options, from casual pubs to swanky lounge bars. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ top picks for the best nightlife in Melbourne:
1. Rooftop Bar. As the name suggests, the main draw at Rooftop is its excellent view, made even better by the great beer selection and frequent outdoor movie screenings. An added perk: Barhopping is easy here, as popular drinking spots Cookie and Toff in Town are located in the same building.
2. Belgian Beer Café Bluestone. This St. Kilda bar is located in a historic bluestone building with an attractive rustic interior. On sunny days, its beer garden is the ideal spot to enjoy moules frites and Belgian brews like Stella Artois, Hoegaarden and Kriek.
3. Section 8. Housed in a converted shipping container, this quirky Chinatown bar is popular for its laid-back and artsy vibe, weekend DJs and simple, quality drink list.
4. The Esplanade. Known by its endearing nickname “The Espy,” this gracefully crumbling hotel is a great place to hear live rock music.
5. Borsch, Vodka & Tears. It’s all in the name at this old-school Polish establishment, which carries more than 100 varieties of vodka.
6. Melbourne Supper Club. Favored for its comfortable leather lounges, wine “encyclopedia,” and stunning view of Parliament House at night, the Melbourne Supper Club is a classic that won’t disappoint.