Answers from Our Experts (1)
You’ll notice many charming details during your stay at Cypress Inn in Carmel. Here are the best things about the luxury hotel:
1. History. The Cypress Inn dates back to 1929, but today reflects the era of the 1950s and ’60s because of all the Doris Day memorabilia, including records, photos, dolls and movie posters, as well as her films playing on the televisions in public areas.
2. Dog-friendliness. Most “dog-friendly” establishments limit canines to the outdoor areas, but at Cypress Inn, dogs are welcomed anywhere you are, that includes the lounge, the front living room and the guest rooms. The only caveat is that they can’t be left alone.
3. Parlor. One of the most inviting areas of the hotel is the front parlor with its large picture windows allowing sunlight to floods the room, deep and comfortable armchairs and sofas and all sorts of interesting old books and memorabilia. Wednesday through Sunday, the parlor is filled with the sound of music from a pianist on the house grand piano or maybe a guitarist or vocalist.
4. Landscaping. The Carmel climate is ideal for many flowering plants, so you’ll find bright pink azaleas and rhododendrons, violets, cyclamen and bougainvillea throughout the property.
5. Décor. Cypress Inn has a Spanish-Moorish-Moroccan theme that’s carried out through the colors and furnishings. You’ll notice touches like the Moroccan metal lanterns in Terry’s Restaurant Lounge, the kilim pillows in the parlor and the colors of burnt sienna, brown and gold throughout.