Answers from Our Experts (1)
Mumbai has so many different attractions to see, its hard to decide where to start. Here are five places we suggest seeing when you visit Mumbai:
1. The Gateway of India is a must see on any visit to Mumbai. Located on the waterfront, this memorial to the visit of King George V and Queen Mary was completed in 1920. It is not only a beautiful architectural site, but also a meeting place and a great venue to people watch and soak up the carnival atmposphere.
2. Like a vision arising out of the ocean, Haji Ali is a sight to behold. This mosque and tomb was built in the 15th century and is a pilgrimage site for thousands each day. Located in Central Mumbai, Haji Ali is open to all, but women are not allowed to enter the inner sanctum.
3. Explore Fort and marvel at the beautiful buildings of an age gone by. From Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, the stunning old train station, to the imposing Rajabai Clock Tower that was modelled on London's Big Ben.
4. As the afternoon turns to dusk, head to Chowpatty Beach to enjoy the cool sea breeze and perhaps try some local delicacies. From pav bhaji to pani puri, this is the place to try some of the best street food on offer in Mumbai.
5. No visit to Mumbai is complete without experiencing something to do with Bollywood. You can take a tour of the homes of Bollywood Stars with Audio Compass which starts outside the famous Mehboob Studio in the suburb of Bandra. Otherwise, head to one of the many theatres in town, like the Eros Theatre in Churchgate and sit back and enjoy the show.