Answers from Our Experts (1)
Mumbai offers a number of luxurious hotels. Our Forbes Travel Guide editors pick the five best places to stay in Mumbai:
1. Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai. The historic hotel has been fully restored since the terrible 2008 terrorist attacks. Overlooking the Gateway of India, the grand dame of Mumbai hotels impresses with a number of the city’s finest restaurants and well-appointed rooms that play host to presidents, movie stars and business leaders.
2. JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai. Located in the Juhu neighborhood, the hotel hosts the just-opened Spanish restaurant Arola from acclaimed chef Sergi Arola. The palace-like hotel sits on a large expanse of beachfront and is a welcome escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.
3. Grand Hyatt Mumbai. Close to Mumbai’s international airport, the Grand Hyatt is more like a small city. The hotel boasts more than 500 rooms, a shopping plaza, spa and numerous restaurants, including one of the city’s finest Chinese eateries, China House. After dinner winds down, the restaurant turns into one of the city’s hippest clubs, drawing the Bollywood glitterati.
4. The Oberoi, Mumbai. Well-positioned in downtown Mumbai, the Oberoi holds a commanding position on the city’s promenade featuring views of the Arabian Sea. The hotel is home to top restaurants Ziya for Indian and Vetro for Italian along with a huge wine list.
5. Four Seasons Hotel Mumbai. The Four Seasons, in midtown Mumbai, is well positioned for those making trips around the city. Elegant rooms feature either sea or city views through floor to ceiling windows. Rooftop bar Aer is one of the most popular places in town.