Answers from Our Experts (1)
Answer: Mumbai offers some of the most cosmopolitan cuisine — everything from great pan-Asian to Indo-European — in its modern restaurants but some of the best food experiences can be found in longtime eateries and food stalls. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the five best food experiences in Mumbai:
1. Bademiya. Eating on the curb or the hood of your car from this popular street stall is a time-honored tradition in Mumbai. The kebabs and freshly baked breads are legendary.
2. Punjab Sweet House. This neighborhood shop offers India’s delicious street food in a safe, hygienic environment. Enjoy pani puri (made with bottled water) as the locals do – standing and watching shoppers and traffic pass.
3. Café Madras. This small restaurant offers no-frills South Indian specialties. Diners share tables and eat with their hands, but no one minds since the food is so good (and cheap).
4. Peshawri. The leg of lamb at Peshawri is a culinary feast. Other North Indian favorites are done exceptionally well here. Expect to pay prices consummate with the service, quality and décor at the restaurant inside ITC Maratha hotel.
5. Trishna. Waiters will bring your crab and lobster to the table live before cooking. Three words: butter, garlic, pepper. While all seafood here is amongst the very best, the crab, prawns and lobster are exceptional.