Answers from Our Experts (1)
Mumbai may not scream kid-friendly, but there are actually quite a few things to do with the kids in the buzzing city. Here’s what our Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend:
1. Visit Nehru Science Centre. The center offers an impressive selection of hands-on exhibits for kids to learn about the sciences. There’s also a planetarium and 3D science show.
2. See Elephanta Island. A short ferry ride from the Gateway of India takes tourists to this UNESCO World Heritage Site. Kids will enjoy exploring the caves and watching the resident langur monkeys play in the trees.
3. Chowpatty Beach. This urban beach is where the city comes to unwind on the weekends. It’s not meant for sunbathing or swimming but there’s a Ferris wheel and other fun rides for the kids.
4. Hanging Gardens. Set atop one of Mumbai’s most prestigious neighborhoods, the Hanging Gardens on Malabar Hill offer welcome green space amidst the crowded city. In addition to planned gardens, the park has recreation equipment designed for kids, including a house made up like a boot.
5. Crawford Market. Set partially in a grand colonial building, vendors in this market sell everything from fruits and vegetables to household goods. Of particular interest to kids is the pet market section, which has everything from puppies and kittens to some very unusual critters.