Answers from Our Experts (1)
It may be known as an adult vacation paradise, but Mykonos has its share of kid-friendly activities, too. Our Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend the five best things to do with kids while vacationing in Mykonos:
1. Find Petros the Pelican. You can’t miss the island’s fabled resident mascot since he loves a crowd. Large, outgoing and sometimes noisy, he draws tourists around him when he struts around by the port in town.
2. Ride a horse. Trot along some of the best beaches in the world. Several horseback riding companies offer various packages that include lessons and one-hour rides or day-long excursions.
3. Hit the water. Many of the island’s beaches have kiosks that rent out pedal boats, canoes and kayaks.
4. Go snorkeling. Discover the Aegean’s vibrant underwater life while visiting one of the island’s beaches, including Psarou and Paranga. Snorkel over caverns inhabited by hundreds of colorful fish and anemones.
5. Visit Delos. Tell your children the mythological story of Apollo and Artemis, twins born to Zeus and his wife Leto. The story goes that Leto came to the island to give birth to the twins, first to Artemis, goddess of the hunt, and then to Apollo, god of the sun. The UNESCO World Heritage Site is a must for people of all ages.