Answers from Our Experts (1)
Mystic is known for more than its pizza (though the pie is certainly a big draw). Fresh seafood and casual atmosphere rule the restaurants in this charming New England town. While you’re here, don’t miss a chance to taste test our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ list of the best places to eat in Mystic.
1. Mystic Pizza, Pizzetta. There’s no point in leaving Mystic without some pizza. Pizzetta, otherwise known to pop culture fans as Mystic Pizza, is Mystic’s big claim to fame. Stop here for a serious slice. The ordering is simple: choose red (with sauce) or white (without sauce) and then pile on your toppings. Pizzetta has eat-in and take-out areas, and you can also buy t-shirts, mugs and posters from the restaurant’s souvenir shop.
2. Flood Tide Restaurant. A local favorite for fine dining, the Flood Tide Restaurant sits on Mystic Harbor and overlooks Fisher Island Sound. Come here for breakfast, afternoon tea or dinner, or for a more casual dining experience head to the restaurant’s lounge and enjoy a cocktail and some live music. This spot, famous for their lobster crepe and fresh seafood specials, is open every night of the week except Tuesday.
3. Seasons at Ocean House, Watch Hill. The Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star restaurant is located in Watch Hill at the Ocean House Resort, and is known for its fresh farm-to-table food concepts. Grab a seat at the chef’s table to watch the dishes on the menu come to life. We love the sage-roasted lobster and the lavender honey glazed duck breast.
4. Stonington Borough. Local seafood is what “the Borough” is known for. Come here for the fresh-from-the-docks catch of the day and harborside dining. The mood is casual, the atmosphere is family-friendly, and the menu features a wide range of classic American dishes.
5. Essex Clipper Dinner Train. For something a bit more eclectic, take a ride on the Essex Clipper Dinner Train. The 2.5-hour journey includes a 4-course mail served in a 1920’s Pullman Diner car.