Answers from Our Experts (1)
Though small in size, Mystic and its surrounding areas have grand stature. Luxury comes in the form of old-world charm, so when you’re visiting Mystic our Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend the following hotels as the best places to stay.
1. Ocean House, Watch Hill. This historic but recently renovated Forbes Travel Guide Four Star hotel is located about 30 minutes from Mystic. The hotel is located at the top of Watch Hill, and is home to 13 acres of land and a private white sand beach. You’ll also find the Forbes star-rated OH! Spa and Seasons, the hotel’s farm-to-table restaurant.
2. Whitehall Mansion Inn. For something a bit more historic, try the Whitehall Mansion Inn in Mystic country. This quaint bed-and-breakfast has five guestrooms, each with a working fireplace and Jacuzzi tubs. You’ll receive a complimentary bottle of wine and cheese platter when you arrive, and if you choose to leave you’re only minutes from the casinos, Mystic Seaport, Olde Mystic Village and the restaurants and boutiques that line Mystic County.
3. Mohegan Sun. Mohegan Sun is one of the largest casinos in the country, and the hotel matches its level of luxury. The hotel steps it up a notch with Mohegan Tribe-inspired fine art and the 24-hour concierge service you’d expect from deluxe accommodations. Another reason the hotel is a draw: Its celebrity-chef dining options include New England’s first Carlo’s Bakery, Todd English Tuscany and Bobby Flay’s Bar American.
4. Chanler at Cliff Walk. Situated on the ocean in a historic “summer cottage”, the 20-room Chanler at Cliff Walk is located about 35 minutes from Mystic in charming Newport, and offers fine and casual dining on-site. Taking its queue from the Golden Age, when the Newport mansions were the pinnacle of luxury living, the Chanler at Cliff Walk still retains that old world feel with all the luxuries of the modern world.
5. Vanderbilt Grace. One of the original Newport mansions, the Vanderbilt Grace is located about 35 minutes from Mystic. Originally the Vanderbilt Hall, today the Vanderbilt Grace mansion includes 33 rooms and suites, a spa and fitness center with indoor and outdoor pools, and two restaurants. The luxury hotel sits along the famous Newport Mansion walk along the water, so you’ll have great views of the ocean and be within walking distance from many of Newport’s top attractions.