Answers from Our Experts (1)
Being in Mystic is like stepping back in time – drawbridges, sailboats, cobblestone roads, and antique charm set this Connecticut village apart from its nearby tony towns. While you're here, Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend that you don't miss the following five best things to see and do in Mystic.
1. Mystic Seaport Museum Store. The seaport store is home base for all things Mystic. You'll find a full report on maritime history, centuries-old sailing maps and plenty of unique gifts to occupy your time. This isn't just any tourist stop. This boutique sells the best the town has to offer if you're looking for local gifts, books and handmade jewelry.
2. Mystic River Bridge. One of the most iconic sites in Mystic is the Mystic River Bascule Bridge, a drawbridge with counterweights that spans the Mystic River. The bridge was built in 1920 and allows both vehicle and foot traffic to pass through. When you first arrive Mystic, you’ll likely drive over the bridge, but make a point to walk back over it during your tour of the town to take some photos. It’s one of the oldest drawbridges in the nation.
3. Connecticut Casinos. Only about 30 minutes from Mystic are the Connecticut casinos of Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. Both casinos offer hotel accommodations, theaters, nightly entertainment, dozens of restaurants and of course, plenty of gambling.
4. Steamboat Sabino. One of the oldest steamboats still in operation is located in Mystic, and worth a ride. The coal-fired steamboat Sabino cruises from mid-May to Columbus Day. Sabino was officially declared a National Historic Landmark in 1992, and the 90-minute rides are filled with history and great photo opps.
5. Mystic Pizza. If the only thing you know about Mystic is its pizza (thanks to the 1988 movie starring a then unknown Julia Roberts), then you shouldn’t miss a stop in for a slice of pie. Mystic Pizza, known locally as Pizzetta, sits right in the middle of town and serves up a variety of pizzas for lunch and dinner. While you’re here, you can also grab a few Mystic Pizza souvenirs, including t-shirts, mugs, cast photos and a slice to go.