Answers from Our Experts (1)
The stiff culinary competition in Northern Vermont keeps standards high. Eateries eagerly embrace the farm-to-table concept, using local meats, organic vegetables and artisanal cheeses. Check out Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the five best places to eat:
1. Solstice. The fine dining restaurant in the Stowe Mountain Lodge takes local produce to a new level, with extremely selective sourcing of every ingredient and a seasonally changing menu that reflects the yield of the current time of year.
2. Pistou. This American bistro opened in late 2011 in Burlington and received a James Beard nomination for Best New Restaurant soon after. Pistou features local, inventive dishes inspired by both Vermont goods and high-end Manhattan eateries.
3. The Kitchen Table Bistro. This charming restaurant is about 20 minutes east of Burlington in Richmond. Housed in an 18th-century building, The Kitchen Table Bistro has several different cozy dining rooms and specializes in fresh, regional cuisine.
4. A Single Pebble. Twenty years ago, this was the hottest restaurant in Vermont when it opened with next-generation authentic Chinese food. It has since moved to Burlington and has become even more ambitious, serving haute Chinese cuisine with a farm-to-table emphasis.
5. Inn at Shelburne Farms. The historic inn has an elegant restaurant and an impressive menu that revolves around seasonal ingredients grown locally — some are even grown on the property’s farm. Tip: Get there early to enjoy a cocktail on the expansive terrace for scenic views.