Answers from Our Experts (1)
The handful of museums, the city’s rich history and the Old West nostalgia provide an endless wealth of activities for you and the little ones. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the best things to do with your family in Oklahoma City.
1. Frontier City. A large amusement park jam-packed with rides, including several roller coasters, as well as classics such as a merry-go-round, Ferris wheel, kids’ rides and bumper cars. The on-site water park, which includes a flume and rapids ride, is perfect for cooling off on a hot day.
2. Harn Homestead and 1889ers Museum. Dating from the early days of Oklahoma City, this restored farm has all sorts of displays and demonstrations that will keep kids engaged in its gardens, two barns and one-room schoolhouse. Its centerpiece is a fine Queen Anne farmhouse, built by one of the state’s prominent early settlers. Bring a picnic lunch to enjoy after your tour.
3. The Museum of Osteology. This modest building houses a true treat: Some 300 animal skeletons are displayed inside, including birds, reptiles, primates and, yes, humans. Displays include everything from the smallest mouse to a massive humpback whale. Visitors can handle skulls and learn how bones help different animals adapt and survive.
4. Oklahoma City Zoo. Consistently rated one of the best zoos in the country, with nearly 2,000 animals. The zoo’s new elephant area, which opened in 2011, has several yards for viewing the giant pachyderms, as well as a pavilion with daily displays. There are daily animal shows, rides and opportunities to feed some of the animals.
5. Science Museum Oklahoma. With a planetarium, a giant dome movie theater and exhibits featuring scientific fun facts, this large museum is a delight for kids and adults. The museum also has regular scientific demonstrations, such as the science of solving crimes, guaranteed to thrill visitors.