Answers from Our Experts (1)
You’ll be hard-pressed to find a place with as varied fresh meat option as Oklahoma; its location gives the city the best of cattle in the area. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the five best food experiences in Oklahoma City.
1. Steak. Carnivores will be satisfied with the city’s more than ample selection of no-frills eateries offering up every formed of grilled, broiled and smoked goodness. Check out Cattlemen’s Steakhouse in the historic Stockyards City complex, where diners chow down in an authentic Old West atmosphere.
2. Barbecue. Meanwhile, ‘cue aficionados will want to hit Jack’s BBQ and local hot spot, County line BBQ, which has been steadily cranking out brisket, ribs, and other tangy delights for over 50 years.
3. Fried chicken. Oklahoma City chicken is fresh and juicy, and when it’s fried, there’s really nothing like it. Check out Ann’s Chicken Fry House, whose fried chicken and chicken-fried steak are a favorite among locals.
4. Mexican cuisine. Oklahoma City is chock full of tasty Mexican restaurants, keep your eyes peeled for the mom and pop variety, over the chains, for the most authentic dishes.
5. European specialties. Locals love the European specialty meats and baked goods from Ingrid’s Kitchen—for 30 years; this spot has been bustling with locals and tourists. Be sure to stop in for some fine bratwurst, wiener schnitzel and their classic reuben.