Answers from Our Experts (1)
Kids will love playing in Omaha’s parks, museums and zoo. Here are our picks for the best things to do with kids in this Midwest city:
1. Visit the Ak-Sar-Ben Aquarium. Tucked away in a state recreation area just outside of the city, this modest aquarium has lots of native Nebraska fish as well as other displays on animal and plant life. After checking out the aquarium, take a hike on the nearby trails or sit down for a family picnic.
2. Explore The Durham Museum. Housed in Omaha’s restored Union Station, this museum features soaring ceilings and original Art Deco furnishings throughout the sprawling interior. Exhibits focus on local history and include displays on Omaha businesses and significant events, as well as temporary exhibits from the Smithsonian Institution and other venues.
3. Zip around Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium. Kids will love checking out the vast menagerie of creatures from all over the world at this huge zoo, which features lots of reconstructed native animal habitats. There’s also an IMAX theatre and a mini-train ride.
4. Stroll through Lauritzen Gardens. Facing the riverfront with sumptuous views of the surrounding countryside, this botanical garden covers more than 100 acres of lush landscape. Kids will love the children’s garden, bird sanctuary and arboretum with native trees.
5. Play at Omaha Children’s Museum. There is lots of hands-on fun at this museum, which has numerous areas where kids can try out their scientific and artistic talents and play with the toys on hand. There are numerous temporary exhibits as well.