Answers from Our Experts (1)
You’ll find that accommodations in Oslo range from breathtaking historic hotels to charming guesthouses. Here are our recommendations for the best places to stay when in Oslo:
1. Grand Hotel Oslo. This luxury hotel is a landmark in itself, centrally located on pedestrian street Karl Johans gate. The Grand Hotel hosts the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize each year, and includes the celebrated Grand Café, where playwright Henrik Ibsen ate daily. The traditional rooms have been updated for ultimate comfort, and feature amenities like spa products, fresh fruit, yoga mats and magazines. The hotel’s stunning Artesia Spa is among the best in Norway.
2. Hotel Continental. This tasteful, family-owned hotel established in 1900 is an Oslo classic, with spacious rooms that are uniquely decorated. Centrally located near the National Theatre, Royal Palace and the Oslo Fjord, Hotel Continental is also home to famous Viennese-style restaurant Theatercaféen. Another highlight: The hotel has an extensive art collection that includes lithographs by Edvard Munch.
3. Grand Hotel Rica. A classic luxury hotel for more than 100 years, Grand Hotel Rica is within walking distance of Slottsparken and other Oslo attractions. The hotel features three fine restaurants and a Tower Suite with breathtaking views.
4. First Hotel Grims Grenka. If you’re looking for something less traditional, head to chic design hotel Grims Grenka near the Akershus Castle. Choose between a modern room decorated in summer-inspired warm green tones or a Winter Suite in cool blues and whites; both options feature cushy Jensen beds. The hotel has a rooftop lounge bar open in the summer months, and restaurant Madu offers contemporary Scandinavian fare year round.
5. The Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel. The 488-room hotel is located next to Oslo’s Royal Palace, with panoramic views overlooking the capital city and the fjord. After a day of sightseeing, use the hotel pool and saunas, and then head to the 21st-floor Summit Bar for more views and tasty cocktails.