Answers from Our Experts (1)
Norway’s history is so rich and interesting that even kids will be fascinated by it, especially in its capital, Oslo. Here are our favorite things to do with kids in the family-friendly city:
1. The International Museum of Children’s Art. This unique museum devoted entirely to children’s art contains drawings, paintings, textiles and sculptures from more than 180 countries. Check for activities like art classes, African drumming workshops and storytelling hours.
2. Norsk Folk Museum. Kids find Oslo’s remarkable folk museum equal parts fun and educational. At this open-air museum, wander through more than 150 different buildings depicting life in Norway over the past centuries. Staff welcomes you in period costume, and admission is free for children under six.
3. Take a ride on the Oslo Fjord. Children love this hop-on, hop-off cruise in a traditional wooden sailboat (and kids under 4 ride for free). In addition to the pleasure of a ride on the shimmering Oslo Fjord, this is a great way to see medieval castle Akershus, the city’s distinctive Opera House (with an impressive downward-slopping roof) and the museums along the Bygdøy peninsula.
4. Frogner Park. Kids get a kick out of the park’s famous sculptures, many inspired by children at play. The park also features a great playground with sandboxes, jungle gyms and swings. If the weather is warm, visit adjacent Frognerbadet, a swimming complex with children’s pools, diving boards and water slides.
5. Get in on winter activities. Summer in Oslo is beautiful but fleeting. During winter visits, children love the festively lit Christmas market outside of Oslo’s City Hall, where they can drink hot chocolate and sample risengrynsgrøt, warm rice pudding seasoned with butter, cinnamon and sugar. There are ice skating rinks close to the National Theatre and Frogner Stadium, and another winter favorite in Oslo is tobogganing in a spot like Korketrekkeren, which means “the corkscrew.” Take the local metro to the top of the 1.2-mile long hill and sled down (helmet and sled rentals are available).