Answers from Our Experts (1)
Ottawa is brimming with fun things for kids to do all year long. From museums to ice skating and parades to winter festivals, your children will be thrilled to spend some time in Canada’s capital. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for the five best things to do with kids in Ottawa.
1. Ice Skating. Home to the world’s largest naturally frozen skating rink, Rideau Canal, you can’t visit Ottawa in the winter without checking it out. If you forgot your own skates, you can rent them at the rink. On weekends, thousands of people hit the ice, and it’s never a dull time.
2. Dows Lake Pavilion. This manmade lake off the Rideau Canal is where you can rent paddleboats and kayaks during the summer and skates in the winter. The pavilion has restaurants, but the real fun is exploring the canal in a paddleboat.
3. Picnic in Gatineau Park. It’s a short drive from Ottawa, but your kids will love packing a picnic and enjoying the surroundings in Gatineau Park. In the winter you can go cross-country skiing, while summer offers swimming and hiking.
4. Winterlude. Ottawa’s winter festival is a blast for the whole family — from ice-skating to the Taste of Winterlude, the festival’s food and wine portion. Kids can play in the Snowflake Kingdom in Jacques Cartier Park, the world’s biggest snow playground.
5. Canada Science and Technology Museum. This is the hands-on kind of museum that kids love. You and your children will discover cool gadgets — think fridges with built-in TVs — and technology that has made history like the locomotive that pulled the Royal Train during the 1939 royal visit.