Answers from Our Experts (1)
Food lovers will enjoy seeking out the best foods in Perth since there’s such culinary diversity here. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for the best food experiences in Perth:
1. Little Creatures Brewery. What started off as a little microbrewery in Fremantle has grown into one of Australia's favorite brands, headed by the original hoppy Pale Ale. Sample the beer and tour the brewery in Fremantle (40 Mews Road), then enjoy your brew with water views in the Loft, or if you’re hungry, order creative pizzas Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend the one with the local spice called dukkah), seafood and Mediterranean fare in the gastropub. Diners enjoy views of Fishing Boat Harbour and the brewers as they work, with craft beers on tap straight from the conditioning tanks. It’s a perfect place for a lazy afternoon.
2. Burgers at Alfred’s Kitchen. With more than 40 different burgers – and most for under $10 – Alfred’s Kitchen is open every night and is a must. Located a short drive from the city in Guildford in the Swan Valley, this Perth-area classic has been serving up great food in humble setting since 1946. Burgers are served in brown paper bags; grab a seat by the fire and enjoy your meal while people watching.
3. Local seafood. Amazing fresh seafood abounds in Australia and Perth is no exception. You’ll find mussels prepared 100 different ways, the small flaky white fish known as whitebait, and lots of fish’n’chips shops. Kailis’ Fish Market Café, which has been operating on the waterfront at Fishing Boat Harbour in Fremantle since 1928, is a popular choice. Also on the water in Freo, the Mussel Bar offers a more upscale experience and a wide variety of local catches including oysters, barramundi and Tasmanian ocean trout, a meaty pink fish that resembles salmon.
4. High tea. There are a striking number of teahouses in Perth that recreate the lovely English tradition with all the trimmings: warm scones, clotted cream and pots of jam. Forbes Travel Guide editors especially loved having tea overlooking the Swan River at Peninsula Tea Gardens.
5. Azzura Gelato. Though gelato is Italian in origin, Azzura is a local Perth brand that makes award winning gelato, sorbet and frozen confections. Look for the roving Miss Tartufo truck that appears outside Town Hall in Fremantle. Their newest flavors include Buttered Peanut, Blossom Nougat and Chocolate Truffle.