Answers from Our Experts (1)
Whether you prefer the vibrant city of Turin or the quiet countryside, there are many places to stay in Piedmont. Here are five of the finest luxury hotels recommended by Forbes Travel Guide editors:
1. Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees (Stresa). Overlooking the crystalline waters of Lake Maggiore, this lavish Art Nouveau-style villa — complete with antique artwork and magnificent chandeliers — is more than 150 years old. Among many illustrious guests, American writer Ernest Hemingway frequently stayed at the villa.
2. Hotel Castello di Sinio (Sinio). If you crave the peaceful beauty of Piedmont’s world-famous wine region with a historical twist, why not spend a night in a castle? Nestled among flourishing hilly vineyards, this medieval palace offers all the modern amenities, as well as activities like cooking classes, truffle hunts and gastronomic adventures.
3. The Golden Palace (Turin). Situated in the heart of the historic city center, this luxury hotel combines the comfort of technology (high-speed internet and plasma televisions) with the elegance of modern art and architecture. Paintings and sculptures by prominent Italian artists adorn the walls, while the bar and restaurant display gleaming marble surfaces, gold finishings and shiny glass walls.
4. Principi di Piemonte Hotel (Turin). This luxury hotel offers all the comforts of the city — plus a dramatic panorama of Turin’s rooftops with the snow-capped Alps serving as the backdrop. And since it faces the stylish shopping district on Via Roma, Principi di Piemonte Hotel is ideal for exploring the city.
5. Relais San Maurizio, Santo Stefano Belbo. Once a 17th-century monastery, this luxury hotel and spa resort is complete with ancient colorful frescoes, a centenary shady park and the excellent Guido da Costigliole — don’t miss the agnolotti, a regional specialty done just right here. Book in advance to choose one of its 30 cheerful and airy rooms and suites. During the summer months, the outdoor swimming pool offers a stunning view of the surrounding hills.