Answers from Our Experts (1)
Pittsburgh is an especially family-friendly city, and one of its very best kid-friendly restaurants — Eat’n Park — is one of its most enduringly popular adult-friendly restaurants, too. With dozens of locations in the tri-state area, Eat’n Park is nothing less than legendary among Pittsburghers of all ages. Of course, Pittsburgh is also rich in kid-friendly eateries with a bit more individuality and panache; here are the five best:
1. Armstrong’s. A true Pittsburgh institution, Armstrong’s is essentially an Italian-themed diner where mountains of deliciously toothsome food — including regular ol’ American staples — are served at reasonable prices. And because the service is so personable, families with noisy children never feel awkward or out of place. There’s also a full bar for grown-ups, and kids go wild for the sugary, gooey goodness of the desserts.
2. Juliano’s Restaurant and Pizzeria. What kid doesn’t love pizza? At the family-owned Juliano’s, where pizzas are served buffet-style, children are always welcomed with open arms. The kid’s menu here features simple Italian staples like spaghetti and rigatoni, and Juliano’s will even cater events, such as children’s birthday parties.
3. Pamela’s Diner. Breakfast is always a fun experience at any of the city’s six Pamela’s Diner locations, which always seem to be filled with happy families - especially on weekends. What’s more, picky eaters are well looked after here by the always-cheery waitstaff.
4. Hofbräuhaus Pittsburgh. A visit to a genuine Bavarian Bier Hall may not sound like a dining destination for children. But soups, salads and sandwiches are available for non-adventurous eaters, and grown-ups will be taken aback by the quality of the entrees here. A gluten-free menu is also available.
5. The Quiet Storm. This vegetarian and vegan café in Garfield goes well out of its way to make kids feel comfortable. Toys, games and children’s books are always scattered about, and servers are always willing to accommodate kids (and adults) with special dietary restrictions.