Answers from Our Experts (1)
You won’t have much idle time on your hands in Positano, where you can take a swim in crystal-clear water, shop fashionable boutiques, dine on excellent cuisine and climb seemingly never-ending steep, winding stairwells – the walkways alone can consume you for hours with their secret gardens and undiscovered porticoes. To help prioritize your time, here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ five top recommendations for activities in Positano:
1. Rent a boat. Many independent and established “taxi services” line the Spiaggia Grande and offer deals on private sea excursions. You can rent a private boat, then cruise around Capri Island to discover the many secluded beaches and grottoes, head to a secluded beach or see the Sirenuse islands, where according to legend sirens from Homer’s Odyssey sang songs to lure ships to crash into the islands.
2. Hike the trails. You’ll get a full workout in simply walking the streets of Positano. Filled with steep steps, one of the city’s most historic trails will take you into the town of Santa Maria di Castello, where an unparalleled view of the bay awaits. A more accessible hike will take you up roughly 1,300 feet through citrus groves to the charming town of Montepertuso.
3. Soak up the sun. Positano’s sparkling turquoise waters are clean, clear and perfect for a quick dip or a long day at the beach. The city has two main beaches: Spiaggia Grande, the main beach located alongside the ferry terminal, and Fornillo, a smaller, more secluded beach with a handful of bars that’s accessed via a path from Spiaggia Grande.
4. Visit the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta. This 100-year-old church is one of the city’s most famous attractions. It’s highlighted by a breathtaking dome, and is also home to a 13th-century Byzantine icon of a black Madonna.
5. Stroll Via Cristoforo Colombo. Whether you’re shopping or you simply want to get a feel for everyday life in Positano, a romantic pre- or post-dinner stroll along this charming street will lead you to local boutiques and splendid Moorish-style architecture.