Answers from Our Experts (1)
Providence is a lively mix of old and new, modern and sophisticated but also oozing with historic charm, and the hotel options in and around the city reflect this juxtaposition. Forbes Travel Guide editors picked the five best places to stay in Providence:
1. Providence Biltmore. In the heart of downtown, this historic luxury hotel is walking distance from Providence Place mall, Rhode Island School of Design, Brown University and the famed summertime WaterFire activities.
2. Ocean House. This Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel is about an hour drive southwest of Providence. Located at the top of Watch Hill, it sits on 13 acres of land and has a private white sand beach. Indulge in visits to the Five-Star OH! Spa and the Four-Star restaurant Seasons.
3. Hotel Providence. Situated in the center of the city, this luxury boutique hotel is within walking distance of Providence Capitol Building, downtown restaurants, bars and Brown University. The lobby and other public areas are filled with authentic European antiques, which add a touch of sophistication and more than a little charm to the hip Hotel Providence.
4. Vanderbilt Grace. One of the original mansions in Newport, the Vanderbilt Grace was built by Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt in 1909. Today the mansion – located about 45 minutes south of Providence — includes 33 rooms and suites, a spa and fitness center with indoor and outdoor pools, and two restaurants. The luxury hotel sits along the famous Newport Mansion walk on the water, offering great views of the ocean.
5. Christopher Dodge House. This charming bed and breakfast is house in a 19th-century Italianate mansion and is ideally located near Brown University and downtown Providence. Revel in the grand architectural details like 11-foot ceilings, marble fireplace mantels and ornate moldings.