Answers from Our Experts (1)
Rapid City might not be the epicenter of luxury hotels, but there are some top-notch places to stay in the South Dakota town. Here are five that Forbes Travel Guide recommends.
1. Adoba Eco Hotel. This large eco-friendly hotel in the heart of downtown has rooms with flat-screen televisions and complimentary Internet access, as well as a business floor with expanded amenities. The hotel’s Enigma Restaurant is known for its organic dishes made with local ingredients, while the 445 Martini Lounge gives guests the opportunity to unwind after a day of shopping and seeing the sites.
2. Alex Johnson Hotel. With a convenient downtown location, this historic hotel serves as an ideal base to explore the center of the city by foot. The refurbished interior has tons of character, and rooms are comfortable with plenty of amenities. The narrow bar area is a nice spot for a cocktail.
3. Rushmore Plaza Holiday Inn. Adjacent to Rapid City’s convention center, this downtown hotel provides plenty of amenities to its guests, including an indoor pool, sauna, whirlpool, fitness center and sun deck. As with the other downtown hotels, it’s conveniently located near shopping and restaurants, and also has its own restaurant and lounge.
4. Audrie’s Bed and Breakfast. Tucked away in the Black Hills National Forest seven miles outside of Rapid City, this bed and breakfast is made up of log cabins and a renovated powerhouse. Each unit comes with its own patio, as well as a private bath with a hot tub. It’s a nice escape from the surrounding tourist meccas.
5. Black Forest Inn Bed & Breakfast Lodge. Ideally located near the Sheridan and Pactola Lakes and Mount Rushmore, this rural getaway spoils its guests with delicious meals at breakfast and dinner. The sprawling inn is centered around its well-appointed great room, which features a stone fireplace. As for the guest rooms, the décor runs the gamut from knotty pine to muted tones.