Answers from Our Experts (1)
When it comes to main meals Salzburg offers much the same as any Austrian town: schnitzel and spätzle. When it comes to sweet treats, however, this city has a culinary heritage all of its own. Here are five food experiences our Forbes Travel Guide editors feel you must have while in Salzburg:
1. Salzburger Nockerl. This is the city’s favorite dessert and is kind of like a sweet soufflé, but with the texture of dumplings. Ingredients include egg yolk, egg whites, flour, sugar, salt, vanilla, milk and raisins.
2. Bierkuchen. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of the German language may be surprised at the name, but bierkuchen (beer cake) delivers exactly what it promises — soft yet firm cake made with cherries, raisins and a healthy dose of pale ale.
3. Mozartkugeln. Yet another Salzburg item named after the famous composer, Mozartkugeln (Mozart balls) are actually extremely tasty — the perfect combination of chocolate and marzipan. You can buy the Mirabell brand in every grocery store, but we recommend trying the original version at Café Fürst.
4. Kaiserschmarrn. Although eaten throughout Austria, this dessert of torn pieces of caramelized pancake sprinkled with icing sugar and smothered in hot plum compote is especially popular in Salzburg.
5. Coffee. From the Melange to the Einspänner, the Grosser Brauner to the Verlängerter, caffeine-addicts are spoilt for choice in Salzburg.