Answers from Our Experts (1)
Salzburg may only be Austria’s fourth-largest city, but there are still plenty of things to see and do here, including these five recommended activities from our Forbes Travel Guide editors:
1. Climb up to Hohensalzburg Castle. One of the largest castles in Europe, Hohensalzburg Castle is one of the top highlights of Old Town. It’s a spectacular medieval fortress with even more spectacular views of the city landscape.
2. Explore Mirabell Gardens. The Baroque-style Mirabell Palace is one of Salzburg’s main sights, but it’s the geometrically arranged gardens that will really catch your eye. Look out for the famous horse fountain — that’s where Maria and the children danced as they sang “Do-Re-Mi” in The Sound of Music.
3. Visit Mozart’s birthplace. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born in Salzburg, and memorials to the famous composer can be found throughout the city. Be sure to visit his former home in the city center.
4. Catch a classical concert. If you’d rather listen to Mozart’s legacy, you can hear his work being performed in one of the city’s many music venues — or come for the annual Salzburg Festival, which is held every summer for five weeks.
5. Head to the Alps. If not the music, then the hills are certainly alive with chirping birds, icy fresh air and spectacular panoramas — and they’re just a quick trip away from Salzburg’s city center.