Answers from Our Experts (1)
Turning a vacation to San Diego into a romantic getaway is easy, given its gorgeous Southern California location and perfect climate. When it comes to food, San Diego is home to a number of romantic hot spots, perfect for date night, an anniversary or just because. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors' picks of the five best romantic restaurants in San Diego:
1. Extraordinary Desserts. Take your sweetheart (and your sweet tooth) to Extraordinary Desserts, which offers to-die-for cakes, tarts, napoleons and other sweet offerings beyond your wildest craving imagination. Order the dreamy, light coconut torte — with two spoons — and share your cake outside in the candlelit patio.
2. Marine Room. Located right on the surf, the Marine Room is one of the San Diego area’s most exclusive dining establishments, an ideal spot to take your honey for a special celebration or anniversary. This La Jolla fine dining destination offers contemporary French cuisine spearheaded by executive chef Bernard Guillas.
3. Addison. If you’re really looking to wow your loved one, dinner at world-class Addison will definitely do the trick. As one of only two restaurants in Southern California to receive a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star rating, Addison features local cuisine with contemporary French influences and is inside San Diego’s The Grand Del Mar.
4. Monsoon. Shake up your taste buds with some spicy Indian cuisine at Monsoon, located in San Diego’s bustling Gaslamp Quarter. Walk in and you will be warmly greeted by the intoxicating scent of spices wafting from the kitchen. Monsoon is not only a feast for your appetite, but is a feast for all of the senses. Be sure to end with the mango mousse.
5. Toast Enoteca and Cucina. Nothing is more romantic than enjoying a glass of wine in a sophisticated setting. If you’re in the mood for Italian, head to Toast Enoteca and Cucina in San Diego’s East Village neighborhood for a relaxing night out. With more than 400 different wines on offer, as well as authentic cuisine that rivals a home-cooked meal in Italy, you’ll feel the romance.