Answers from Our Experts (1)
San Miguel de Allende is a great family destination with lots of activities to keep little ones amused. Here are our picks for the five best things to do with kids:
1. Nature walks. There are several impressive nature reserves around San Miguel, the largest being El Charco del Ingenio. Perfect for hiking and animal watching, a visit to El Charco is a great family activity.
2. Horseback riding. Visit Rancho Xotolar to ride horses with the whole family. This safety-conscious, family-run ranch offers scenic rides through the mountains and a traditional lunch in a family home.
3. Take an art class. San Miguel’s artistic heritage opens doors for kids, too. Check out local cultural centers like the Casa de la Cultura, the Biblioteca Pública, and the prestigious Instituto Allende to find an art class for your kids. These centers sometimes offer children’s classes in yoga, dance, and theater as well.
4. Visit kid-friendly museums. Kids get a kick out of The Other Face of Mexico, a colorful collection of Mexican masks located in bed and breakfast Casa de la Cuesta. Visitors are encouraged to try on the masks — many look like devils and wild animals. Museo de la Esquina, a toy museum in the city center, is another popular spot. This museum holds over a thousand Mexican toys, a happy mix of dolls, trains, animals, instruments and piggy banks.
5. Enjoy ice cream galore. Take a trip to nearby Dolores Hidalgo, famous for the ice cream in its central plaza. Vendors make the ice cream from scratch daily, serving up unusual flavors like avocado, shrimp, mole and even octopus. In addition to the pleasure of these delicious treats, kids earn bragging rights for exotic eating.