Answers from Our Experts (1)
San Miguel de Allende’s vibrant culture shines through in its impressive restaurant scene. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the five best places to eat:
1. Moxi by Enrique Olvera. Moxi, the trendy, art-filled restaurant at Hotel Matilda, is run by to one of Mexico’s top chefs, Enrique Olvera. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in upstate New York, Olvera is committed to to seasonal, local ingredients, and he creates inventive takes on traditional Mexican cuisine.
2. The Restaurant. Seated in an elegant Moroccan-style courtyard, diners at The Restaurant enjoy chef Donnie Masterton’s “global comfort food” — dishes like gourmet burgers, seared tuna tacos and squash blossom ravioli served with local goat cheese.
3. Mi Vida. Locals love this romantic Italian restaurant for its homemade breads and pastas, as well as classic dishes like osso bucco and grilled lamb chops. Visit to enjoy live jazz and piano music or drink wine by the fire on a chilly evening.
4. Cumpanio. This centrally located restaurant and bakery is known for having the best croissants and brioches in town. It’s an excellent option for breakfast, with quality Italian coffee and breakfast entrées.
5. Café Rama. Tucked away on a quiet side street, this charming little place is known for its creative small plates and Asian-inspired cuisine. Its Wednesday night dinner series includes a five-course meal with dishes like asparagus stuffed chicken leg with herbed huitlacoche sauce. Only 30 seats are available, so you’ll want to book ahead.