Answers from Our Experts (2)
There’s no question you’ll eat well while in Santa Fe, and even better if Geronimo is on your itinerary. The Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star restaurant serves innovative fusion fare with Southwestern, Mediterranean and Asian flavors well represented — think roasted Berkshire “tomahawk” pork chops or fiery sweet chile- and honey-grilled Mexican white prawns. The innovative cuisine takes the cake as the reason to go to Geronimo (speaking of, don’t miss the dessert menu or its lengthy list of housemade ice creams), but the location inside a 1756 adobe is a close second. The house’s kiva fireplaces and wood beams make for an elegant, authentic New Mexico dining experience.
With fine Southwestern fare flavoring many of its menus, Santa Fe enjoys a well-deserved star on the country’s culinary atlas. Here are five of the best restaurants to try while you’re in town:
1. Geronimo. Located on Canyon Road, this Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star fine-dining restaurant serves excellent seafood dishes — such as Maryland soft-shell tempura crabs — and other offerings in a restored adobe building.
2. Maria’s New Mexican Kitchen. Maria’s is known for its traditionally prepared New Mexico chile dishes, but it’s the extensive tequila selection and margarita offerings that make this a local favorite.
3. Tomasita’s Restaurant. In the Railyard District, Tomasita’s makes no apologies for the heat of its chile, which it advises to sample before ordering. That said, its Northern New Mexico cuisine has been delighting locals and visitors for the past 40 years.
4. The Compound Restaurant. This Canyon Road spot has helped put Santa Fe on the culinary map with its linen atmosphere and unique fusion menu. One signature dish: tuna tartare topped with Osetra caviar and preserved lemon.
5. The Cowgirl. When you’re looking for a family-friendly meal, head to the Guadalupe District and The Cowgirl, known for its burgers, barbeque and kitschy Western theme. Its extensive comfort-food menu includes offerings such as barbeque, butternut squash casserole and buttermilk chicken-fried chicken.