Answers from Our Experts (1)
Famous for pisco and seafood, there's more to contemporary dining and drinking in Santiago than one might expect, with a booming restaurant scene that rivals other budding South American cities. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the five of the best places to eat Santiago:
1. Astrid y Gastón. Husband and wife duo Astrid and Gastón got their start revolutionizing fine dining in Lima and have done the same in Santiago. Perennially recommended, this restaurant has received numerous awards and is the best place in the city to enjoy ceviche and novo-Andino cuisine.
2. Patagonia. If the furthest south you're going in Chile is Santiago, then visit this cozy restaurant to expand your palate. Just like the actual landmass of Patagonia, Argentine and Chilean dishes are featured here, including rainbow trout, wild boar, venison and the famous Patagonian lamb.
3. The Gaon. A chic, modern space that does luxe versions of traditional Korean dishes, The Gaon is a good example of the direction that Santiago's culinary scene is taking towards excellence. Vegetarians, take note: your kind will find happiness here.
4. Azul Profundo. One of the finer seafood restaurants in town, Azul Profundo excels in innovative ways to serve up fish. Located in the Bellavista neighborhood, this spot is decked top-to-bottom in maritime decor and the menu features everything from grilled shark and salmon to sea bass and fish soup.
5. Le Bistrot. You can get excellent French cuisine at this gorgeous little spot tucked away in Providencia. Fresh and local ingredients are used to create fine French food served in a relaxed, bistro atmosphere.