Secret garden spa villas by the sea in Sanya
18 Treatment Rooms
At the Bill Bensley-designed Mandarin Oriental, Sanya, there’s an entire Spa Village dedicated to health and wellness. The spa wraps around the coastline, providing ocean and tropical garden views from every angle — whether you’re in for a massage or out for tennis lessons.
Stretching across 3,200 square feet, this wellness sanctuary is comprehensive to say the least. It’s all about restoring energy and ironing out angst to help you feel recharged when you leave. The pampering begins at a “floating” reception, which is built into a soothing pond with stepping stones, private wooden benches and lush palm trees.
Treatments span from 60-minute services to half- and full-day indulgences. You’ll find a varied menu that includes traditional Chinese therapies like acupuncture, massages for expectant mothers, facials for men, a service to help you get more restful sleep and more.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
● The lush scenery and open-air architecture should be enough to soothe the soul. If not, the body massages and facials will finish the job.
● Curious about traditional Chinese medicine? This is the place to try it. The Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Sanya is the only resort spa on the island that’s licensed in TCM.
● Elsewhere in the wellness zone, there’s an enormous fitness center, tennis courts and opportunities for tai chi and yoga.
● The luxury spa also offers a Shaolin kung fu wellness program, a martial-arts-based exercise and meditation philosophy that draws from Confucian principles.
● Try tai chi or qi gong (a calming body and mind exercise), along with a traditional Zen tea ceremony, to experience ancient Chinese rituals.
What to Know
● The Sanya spa specializes in traditional Chinese medicine therapies, such as acupressure, acupuncture, bone setting, and cupping, but there are plenty of Western treatments, too.
● No matter which treatment you choose, it will start with a relaxing foot ritual that includes warm scented water and a short massage.
● Arrive at least 45 minutes early so you can unwind at the extensive hydrotherapy treatment areas.
● Keeping with the Mandarin Oriental classics, the signatures here are dubbed “Time Rituals.” Essentially, these are customized treatments with an Asian bent.
● If you’re fresh off a round of golf, the specialty Golfer’s Massage consists of hot herbal compresses, an aromatic steam shower, a targeted rubdown and a facial.
● Another favorite is the Lava Sea Shell, a relaxing massage that harnesses the heat of sea shells together with local coconut oil to soothe muscles and condition skin.
● For a holistic overhaul, ask about the Detox Retreat, a personalized program that’s rooted in traditional Chinese medicine philosophies. It includes a Chinese herbal bath, pressure-point massage and “moxibustion” service where medicinal plants are burned near the skin to boost your qi, or positive energy flow.
The Treatment Rooms
● The spacious spa features 18 treatment suites, each with an array of luxurious offerings, including private steam showers and alfresco bathtubs.
● The design mirrors the surroundings, featuring natural elements — think stone, palm leaves, local art and bamboo accents.
● If you want to relax with your partner, check out one of the couple's suites or chic VIP villas. The latter includes access to a “secret garden” filled with alfresco treatment zones, waterfalls and a romantic whirlpool.