Answers from Our Experts (1)
A number of new hotels and resorts have popped up in recent years in Sanya, a paradisiacal seaside city in southern China. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for the five best places to stay in Sanya.
1. The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Sanya. Located about 40 minutes from the airport in Yalong Bay, The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Sanya has 450 beautifully furnished guest rooms, including 33 private villas with individual plunge pools. All rooms have stunning views of the beach and South China Sea. The hotel also has eight restaurants, an ESPA Spa, the only oceanfront wedding chapel in Sanya and a luxury mall that includes outposts for Louis Vuitton, TODS, Salvatore Ferragamo and Zegna.
2. Mandarin Oriental, Sanya. A luxury hotel on Coral Bay, Mandarin Oriental, Sanya has 296 guest rooms, 68 pavilion rooms near the beach, 18 suites with a private terrace or balcony and 15 palatial duplex pool villas with a private pool, gazebo, sundeck and garden. You’ll also find nine restaurants, a spa and extensive meeting space at this sprawling resort.
3. Banyan Tree Sanya. One of the first luxury hotels to open in Sanya, Banyan Tree Sanya is still one of the island’s crown jewels. Located in Luhuitou Bay, the southernmost tip of Hainan Island, this hotel offers a true escape to paradise: You’ll stay in a beautiful pool villa, get pampered at the Banyan Tree Spa Sanya and dine on gourmet cuisine at the hotel’s seven restaurants.
4. The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort. Guest rooms and suites at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, which is ideally located on the beach in Yalong Bay, feature a 46-inch flat-screen television, iPod dock, spacious bathroom and around-the-clock butler service. The resort also has five restaurants, a spa and is situated near a luxury shopping space.
5. Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay. This luxury hotel overlooking the South China Sea has a large variety of guest rooms and villas, with some of the latter featuring a private pool along with a long list of other top-notch amenities. The hotel also has several restaurants and lounges, a spa, 24-hour fitness center and a variety of planned activities such as snorkeling and scuba diving.