Answers from Our Experts (1)
Seattle is the urban playground of the Northwest, and kids are bound to stay entertained with all this city and its surroundings have to offer. Our Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend these five outings for those with children in tow:
1. Ride the Seattle Great Wheel. Introduced in summer 2012, this new landmark changed the face of Seattle’s waterfront as one of the largest Ferris wheels in the U.S. The attraction features 42 fully enclosed gondolas (so the predictable rain won’t interfere with your ride) and extends some 40 feet beyond the pier over Elliott Bay.
2. Visit the Space Needle. Standing more than 500 feet tall, views from the observation deck at the Needle will take your wee ones’ breath away. Stop for lunch at SkyCity Restaurant, a revolving venue with views to match.
3. Play at Seattle Children’s Museum. This adventurous center features more than 22,000 square feet of fun meant for kids 10 and under. Interactive exhibits change every six to nine months and there are programs held throughout the day that are free with the price of admission.
4. Roam through Discovery Park. The 534-acre park overlooks Puget Sound and offers long stretches of coastline to explore, seven miles of hiking trails and a variety of nature programs.
5. Take a photo with Rachel the Pig. This large bronze piggy bank is located at the entrance of Pike Place Market and collects funds for human services that go to the market community. Since 1986, it’s estimated that she’s collected more than $100,000 in currency from around the world.