Answers from Our Experts (1)
While Seychelles is geared toward adults — it is, after all, a popular honeymoon destination — there are plenty of things for kids can see and do. Our Forbes Travel Guide editors have rounded up the five best things to do with kids when visiting Seychelles.
1. Curieuse Island. An excursion to this mostly deserted 1.10-square-mile island is a must with kids. The famous inhabitants include giant tortoises that roam free around the island and are protected by law in an effort to save them from extinction. Adults will enjoy the new eco-museum, which is housed in the converted Doctor’s House.
2. A day at the beach. One of the best things about Seychelles is that it’s a giant playground for children. The beach provides endless entertainment, whether it’s swimming, snorkeling or going on a treasure hunt in the sand. Bring a beach picnic and let your kids’ imagination run wild.
3. Cousin Island. The first internationally owned reserve in the world, Cousin Island is home to sea birds as well as Hawksbill turtles that use the island as a protected breeding ground. Kids will also enjoy the boat ride and the free-roaming animals.
4. Horseback riding. Available on several of the islands, you can explore the beaches on horseback with one of the many local outfitters. Make reservations for a ride in advance to ensure availability; the concierge at your hotel should be able to help you make the arrangements.
5. Kayaking. Work up an appetite with the little ones by going on a kayaking adventure. While the adults paddle, children can take in the sights, finding fish under the clear water and watching birds soar overhead — plus the water is just inches away. Equipment is easy to rent for the day or the week.