Answers from Our Experts (1)
The words we would use to describe the style of Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund are:
1. Modern. Hotel Indigo features wall-to-wall windows and bold accents, like the undulating wall of wooden slats that form the backdrop of the reception area and the base of the front desk. The modern elements allow the hotel to instantly make a fresh first impression.
2. Friendly. Bright pops of color and ample seating throughout the public spaces are inviting and welcoming, and help avoid the many artwork displays from feeling imposing or too gallery-like.
3. Witty. There are several creative touches spread throughout the hotel — look for the ceramic painted figures the lobby, and the large-scale figurines looking out the windows of the sixth floor.
4. Inspired. A rickshaw and bicycle painted bright primary colors greet guests at the lobby entrance. Chinese influences abound, from the stone and water fixture that extends across the lobby to the pair of stone lion sculptures leading guests to the elevator bank.
5. Cozy. The hotel manages to be both design-forward and relaxed at the same time, thanks to its cluster of artfully mismatched stools, leather sofas and sculptural chairs in the lobby, and a well-furnished library upstairs with board games, magazines and books.