Answers from Our Experts (1)
If you’re planning to stay at Pudong Shangri-La, Shanghai, Grand Tower while visiting the Chinese city, here are a few things to know:
1. Two towers. The Pudong hotel is made up of two towers: the Grand Tower and the River Wing. As the name suggests, the River Wing is set closer to Huangpu River, so its Bund views are unobstructed. But the Grand Tower is the more exclusive hotel-within-a-hotel with its own set of perks.
2. Horizon Club. The biggest of those perks is this lounge. Guests of the Grand Tower get entry to the 29th-floor Horizon Club, which offers a daily buffet breakfast, afternoon tea, evening cocktails and non-alcoholic beverages throughout the day.
3. Fitness center. There is a fully equipped, state-of-the-art gym on the fifth floor of the Grand Tower, which has an adjacent swimming pool. You’ll also have access to the outdoor floodlit tennis court on the River Wing’s fourth floor.
4. Location. If you’re not that familiar with Shanghai’s geography, there are two main areas split by the Huangpu River, Puxi and Pudong. Puxi is the old area with the Bund and sights like Yu Garden. Pudong is the newer section with the iconic Oriental TV Pearl Tower and the screwdriver-shaped Shanghai World Financial Center. The luxury hotel is in Pudong, and it takes about 20 to 45 minutes to get across the river, depending on traffic.
5. Food and drink. There are so many dining outlets at the hotel — not to mention 24-hour room service — that depending on the number of nights you’re staying, you can most likely dine at a different venue each night.