Answers from Our Experts (1)
Pudong Shangri-La, Shanghai is located in the middle of Lujiazui, Shanghai’s central business district. Here are the five best things to do near the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel:
1. Go to the 100th floor of the Shanghai World Financial Center. It’s the tallest building in Shanghai and less than a 10-minute walk from hotel. On a clear day you can see the futuristic Pudong skyline and across the Huangpu River into Puxi, where skyscrapers mix with the historic buildings on the Bund.
2. Visit Shanghai Ocean Aquarium. Just down the street from the Shanghai hotel, the aquarium houses a beautiful collection of fish and sharks. It’s home to the world’s longest underwater tunnel.
3. Walk along the Bund. This stretch along the Huangpu River boasts Shanghai’s richest collection of historic buildings in a variety of architectural styles, including Art Deco, colonial and neo-classical. Pause with the rest of the tourists to snap a picture of the red Bund bull, made by Arturo DiModica, who also sculpted Wall Street’s charging bull.
4. Try the local food. Eating is a national pastime in China, and every province boasts its own unique cuisine (though, there’s plenty of crossover). Food from northern Dongbei is hearty and includes dumplings and lots of meat. Shanghainese food is sweet and oily, and the southern Cantonese fare is light and uses lots of vegetables.
5. Walk around Lujiazui. Two decades ago, much of Pudong was farmland, so it’s amazing to walk around Lujiazui, Shanghai’s central business district, and ogle the towering skyscrapers.