Answers from Our Experts (1)
Here’s what you absolutely need to know about Shanghai’s Sushi Oyama:
1. Set on the top floor of an old lane house, Sushi Oyama is located at 2/F, 20 Donghu Road at Huaihai Lu. It resides in the popular French Concession area, so you can make a night of it with dinner at Sushi Oyama followed by a walk along the leafy residential streets and shopping in cute boutiques.
2. With capacity for 30 in the entire restaurant and 14 at the coveted sushi bar, seats at Japanese omakase restaurant Sushi Oyama can be hard to come by but a treat once secured. Be sure to make a reservation well in advance.
3. Presided over by the very talented sushi chef and owner, Takeo Oyama, the restaurant is the kind of place you go for a long and detail-oriented multi-course meal, where a chorus of oohs and aaahs greets each dish.
4. There’s only one option on the menu here, and that’s the chef’s choice menu (with a cost of RMB800/US$127). Leave dinner in his capable hands and chef Oyama will make sure you’re satisfied.
5. The fish, which is imported almost daily from Tokyo and Nagasaki, is the utmost of fresh and the epitome of perfection.