Answers from Our Experts (1)
Table No. 1 by Jason Atherton continues to be a hip dining destination in Shanghai for many reasons:
1. Table No. 1 is located at the Cool Docks, one of the newest waterfront areas to be developed on Shanghai’s iconic Huangpu River. It’s housed inside The Waterhouse at South Bund, a hip, industrial-chic-style boutique hotel that attracts both business and tourist travelers.
2. The consulting chef for Table No. 1 is the hugely successful Jason Atherton, who worked under Gordon Ramsay from 2001 until last year. Atherton was the first British chef to study under the legendary Ferran Adrià at El Bulli restaurant, which he did in 1998.
3. Table No. 1 has won many accolades for its rustic European fare, but the urban-decay look of the space — unfinished wooden communal tables, exposed brick, concrete — also has people talking. It’s not what’s expected at a fine-dining destination.
4. While the chef’s pedigree is lofty, Table No. 1 has a relatively casual atmosphere thanks to its edgy warehouse-style interior design. Also, many of the dishes come in portions that are big enough to share, which adds to the relaxed nature of dining here.
5. For diners who wish for more privacy or formality, there are two intimate private rooms, including a chef’s table where the chef will personally present the first course to your private party.