Answers from Our Experts (1)
Sicily offers plenty of activities for children, which makes it a perfect family destination. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’s picks for the best things to do with kids on the Italian island:
1. Visit Selinunte. The vast archaeological park of Selinunte, on the southwest coast is a perfect place for children to have fun running between the Greek ruins, playing hide-and-seek and touring the area on the electric train.
2. Play at Etnaland. Children are bound to have a great time at this theme, water and dinosaur park in Catania. It features a rides, a suspended cableway and laser shows.
3. Watch a puppet show. Puppetry has a long history in Sicily and puppet theaters are found in Palermo, Siracusa and Catania. The puppeteers often reenact mythic and historic tales of Charlemagne and his battles, as well the rivalry between warriors Orlando and Rinaldo for the hand of a fair maiden.
4. Explore the Salt Pans. Visit the salt pans (saline) between Trapani and Marsala on the west coast of Sicily. Children will marvel at the enormous piles of sea salt drying in the sun and the series of windmills.
5. Make some pottery. Caltagirone is renowned for the majolica style pottery and ceramics crafts. After making the journey up the Famous 142 steps at Santa Maria del Monte — and taking in the scenes painted on the tile of each riser — you and the kids can relax by going to a pottery school to make some art of your own.