Answers from Our Experts (1)
Kids are king in St. Kitts and Nevis, where the tourism board publishes a special booklet chock full of children’s activities, inviting young visitors to collect a stamp for each activity they complete. Here are the top five activities your kids will love:
1. Nothing punctuates a tropical vacation more perfectly than the sounds of the steel pan drum, and thanks to Nevis’ Scherzando School of Music, your kids can learn to play like the locals. Steel pan lessons are open to visitors age six and older. You’ll love to see your kids learning about local culture, and they’ll love hammering out some tropical tunes.
2. Thanks to the British Empire’s prolific past in the Caribbean, cricket is one of the region’s most popular sports. At TK’s Cricket Coaching in Nevis, kids age 5 to 15 can learn to bat and bowl with the best of them. Former West Indies player and Nevisian Carl Tuckett leads three-session lessons.
3. Imagine the look of wonder on your child’s face as he witnesses the miracle of hundreds of turtle hatchlings digging their way out of the nest and crawling intently toward the sea, driven forward by the light of the moon. The St. Kitts Sea Turtle Monitoring Network gives kids the chance to accompany the research team into the field.
4. Nothing creates a bonding experience for the whole family like learning a new skill together. Tighten the bond with your family at the St. Kitts Sailing School at Reggae Beach. Sailing lessons are available for children, adults or the whole family. You’ll also find snorkel gear and kayak rentals here, as well as Reggae Beach’s resident goat, monkey and two pigs.
5. One of the best ways to fully appreciate the beauty of St. Kitts is from above, and the whole family can do just that at Sky Safari, where kids and grown-ups alike can soar at close to 50 miles per hour across five different zip lines. St. Kitts’ rainforest, historic sites and even nearby islands are part of the scenery on this tour.