Answers from Our Experts (1)
You don’t have to worry if you bring the little ones along: St. Lucia offers an array of active and educational activities for kids of all ages. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ favorite ways to keep the whole family entertained:
1. La Soufrière Drive-In Volcano. While you can’t drive into the volcano, it is amazing how close you can drive to its edge. More than 20 craters spray hydrogen sulfide into the air. Be sure to hold your nose — as your kids will point out, it smells like rotten eggs.
2. Whale Watching. With some patience and a good eye, kids and adults alike can enjoy some of the best whale watching in the Caribbean, while also spotting dolphins, turtles and other marine life.
3. Watersports. Kids will stay busy all day with activities ranging from swimming and snorkeling to windsurfing and paddleboarding. Most hotels and resorts have all the gear there, so you can laze on the beach while keeping an eye on the kids.
4. Rainforest. Kids can hike through dense foliage, swim in a tropical waterfall and learn about the plants and animals that make up St. Lucia’s unique ecosystem. There’s no better way to find out all about the importance of the environment while still having fun.
5. Pigeon Island. This 40-acre islet off St. Lucia’s northern edge has a long history: It was once a pirate hideout as well as a military fort. Its ruins can still be seen at Pigeon Island National Park, a popular day trip for north shore vacationers and home to many of St. Lucia’s festivals, such as St. Lucia Jazz.