Answers from Our Experts (1)
St. Martin/St. Maarten offers a wide range of accommodations, and you’ll find European touches at many hotels on this Caribbean island. Here is Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ list of the best five places to stay on St. Martin:
1. La Samanna. This Orient-Express hotel, located on the French side’s beautiful Baie Longue, has played host to celebrities and political notables. Rooms are airy and tropically inspired, while extra amenities include beach cabanas and a grand wine cellar.
2. Alamanda Resort. This intimate oceanfront hotel — with just 42 rooms — is located on what’s arguably St. Martin’s most popular beach: Orient Bay. Rooms are decorated with colonial-style and wicker furnishings, and the resort’s pool gives the sand some competition.
3. Hotel Riu Palace St. Martin. Set in Anse Marcel’s National Nature Reserve and fronted by a stretch of sandy beach, the former Radisson Blu Resort Marina & Spa has a friendly staff, an infinity pool and recently renovated rooms.
4. The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa. Located on St. Maarten's French-Dutch border, this hotel has plenty to keep you busy — in addition to the pool, beach and onsite restaurants, there’s a spa and casino. Rooms have a modern, simple design.
5. Le Domaine de Lonvilliers. Fringed by a private beach and nestled in a sprawling tropical park, this hotel’s setting is serene in French St. Martin’s Anse Marcel. Private whirlpools in the rooms and lounge beds by the pool make relaxing easy.