Answers from Our Experts (1)
No matter what type of food you’re looking for, from steak to Tex-Mex to seafood on the beach, there’s surely a St. Petersburg restaurant that will fulfill your need. To help you choose the best places to eat, our Forbes Travel Guide editors have narrowed down their top St. Petersburg area restaurant choices:
1. Marchand’s Bar & Grill. Whether or not you’re staying at the Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club in downtown St. Petersburg, you’ll want to make reservations for the resort’s in-house restaurant. The menu features exquisitely prepared steaks, seafood and pasta. For a quieter dining experience, reserve one of their private dining rooms.
2. Red Mesa. Tex-Mex comes to St. Petersburg in a big way at Red Mesa. This isn’t your typical Mexican restaurant, but rather one that blends flavors in innovative, delicious ways. Our favorites include the pork verde and the carne asada.
3. The Refinery. Though not in St. Petersburg proper, this James Beard finalist for two years running is a culinary gem in Tampa, not far away. The restaurant’s concept is seasonal, fresh and sustainable, and it shows in each and every item on the ever-changing menu. Take a look at the website before visiting — substitutions are heavily frowned upon to keep the integrity of the items on offer. We suggest making a reservation for dinner or Sunday brunch.
4. Caretta on the Gulf. Watch the sun set over dinner at Caretta on the Gulf, inside the Sandpearl Resort on Clearwater Beach. One of the only beachfront restaurants in the area, the fine dining experience at Caretta is matched only by the exceptional service and gorgeous views.
5. Bern’s Steak House. If you’re a steak lover, Bern’s is a must-stop; it’s well worth the short trek to Tampa. For more than 50 years, Bern’s has served the finest steaks in the area, and its wine collection — 6,500 labels strong — is unparalleled. Though it will be tough to save room for dessert, make separate reservations for the restaurant’s Dessert Room, just in case.