Answers from Our Experts (1)
As Scandinavia’s most versatile city, there’s plenty to see and do in Stockholm. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ top picks for the five best things to see and do in the city:
1. Discover the palaces. Stockholm Palace is the official residence of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, although they now spend most of their time in the nearby Drottningholm Palace. As a tourist you’ll want to take time to explore both of these spectacular palaces, and learn more about the Swedish monarchy.
2. Explore Skansen. One of the most diverse open-air museums in the world, Skansen includes a full replica of an average 19th century Swedish town (where actors in traditional dress work as shoemakers, glass-blowers and bakers) and a zoo that’s home to native animals like otters, reindeer and wolves.
3. Head out to the archipelago. Stretching more than 50 miles east from the city, Stockholm’s stunning archipelago is comprised of more than 20,000 islands, islets and rocks — so hop on a summertime ferry to explore just a small portion of it.
4. See Riddarholmen Church. One of the oldest buildings in Stockholm, the beautiful 13th century Riddarholmen Church is where Swedish monarchs and significant figures have been buried for the last 350 years.
5. Go for a swim. Stockholm is surrounded by water, and there are several beaches in the inner city, so there’s no excuse for not slipping on your swimwear and enjoying a dip. Forbes Travel Guide editor’s favorite spot is Lake Mälaren.