Answers from Our Experts (1)
If you love the outdoors, there are plenty of amazing things to do with kids in Tahoe and Yosemite. Here’s our list of the five best things to do with the little ones:
1. Get active. For the mountaineering enthusiast, there’s of course rock climbing, whitewater rafting, hiking, mountain biking, and everything else Yosemite, one of the crown jewels of the U.S. park system, has to offer.
2. Search for gold. For amateur historians and fans of the gold rush, kids can spend the day prospecting along the historic Mother Lode vein, where miners will show them the secrets to panning for precious metals like a real 49er and teach them a little bit about the history of gold country, too.
3. Take a gondola ride at South Lake Tahoe’s Heavenly resort. In the summer, you’ll be able to see all the lake’s grand vistas and get an eyeful of all the fun happening out on the water. In the winter, you’ll get postcard-perfect scenery heavy on the snow and majestic views. You can all even ski down the mountain afterwards if you’d like.
4. Visit Lake Tahoe. If you’re visiting in the summer, Lake Tahoe is a kids’ paradise. There’s inner-tubing, canoeing, jet-skiing and a whole host of insanely fun watercraft activities on offer.
5. Let your child become a Junior Ranger or Little Cub. Yosemite has been fostering a love of nature through this program since 1930, and last year alone more than 24,000 kids joined. It’s a great way to make your child feel as though he or she has a hand in maintaining the park, and they can tell their friends about their newfound ranger status when they get back to school.