A book lover’s retreat in Taipei
104 Rooms / 39 Suites
Conceived by Pritzker-winning architect Toyo Ito, Eslite Hotel catches the eye with its slightly curved 18-story exterior, traditional brick and stone interiors and works from local artists throughout the guest rooms and public areas (after opening in 2015, it received the Golden Pin Design Award, a respected honor given out among Chinese-speaking communities).
But the design-centric hotel also has a strong literary influence. A well-known retail brand in Taiwan, Eslite started out selling books, and hundreds of tomes line the walls of the Lobby Lounge and the chic, modern Library Suite — another nod to its roots.
Nestled in the quaint Songshan Cultural and Creative Park, it’s a rare sanctuary in the heart of the bustling Xinyi commercial district.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• Located in the same building as the hotel, the Eslite Spectrum department store is filled with cultural- and artistic-themed shops selling clothing and lifestyle products, tea boutiques, restaurants and the Eslite bookstore.
• Every floor of the hotel features works by local photographers showing life in Taiwan from the 1940s to the 1970s. Pieces by internationally acclaimed Taiwanese artist Michael Lin adorn the hotel entrance and Lobby Lounge.
• With 5,000 books lining its walls, the Lobby Lounge feels more like a bookstore than a hotel lounge — it’s a cozy setting for business or personal meetings.
• The Taipei hotel is situated in Xinyi District, the shopping and commercial center of the city, making it convenient for business and leisure travelers.
• All 104 guest rooms feature spacious balconies — one of the very few properties in Taipei to have them.
Things to Know
• The hotel is popular for New Year’s Eve, due to its excellent views of Taipei 101’s fireworks celebrations — book early if you want a room around this time.
• In Between steakhouse features dry-aged steak and choice old and new-world selections from Eslite Wine Cellar, one of the leading wine importers in the country.
• Ask for a City View room to look out on the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park and Taipei 101.
• The guest rooms are stocked with plenty of complimentary magazines that you can take home with you. And if you see any books you like either in the Library Suite or in the Lobby Lounge, the staff can arrange a new copy for you to purchase.
• Guest rooms feature a nature-inspired color palette and high-end designer furniture by Cassina.
• All accommodations come with 42-inch HDTVs, DVD players, Bose sound systems and Nespresso coffee machines.
• Enjoy luxurious L’Occitane bath amenities in every guest room — except the Library Suite, which is stocked with premium Bulgari products.
• The expansive 1,464-square-foot Library Suite comes equipped with a spacious reading area, an adjacent dining room and more than 1,000 books spotlighting film, literature, history and linguistics.
• The luxury hotel is located in Songshan Cultural and Creative Park, a popular attraction on its own. The repurposed tobacco plant houses restaurants, shops, a baroque garden and the Taiwan Design Museum.
• A few minutes away on foot, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall contains artworks and relics from Taiwan’s history, nestled in a park area worthy of a leisurely stroll.
• Taipei 101, the city’s landmark and the eighth-tallest building in the world, is only a 20-minute walk or a short taxi ride away.