Answers from Our Experts (1)
Taipei offers a variety of luxury hotels. These are a few of our top choices:
1. The Grand Hotel. A symbol of old-school Taiwan, the Grand Hotel has retained its sense of tradition for decades. It’s in a great location, on the northern section of the city, in walking distance of the Confucius Temple and the Shilin Night Market. With classical décor reminiscent of an emperor’s palace and boasting some of the city’s best Chinese restaurants, the hotel’s character rivals its historical worth.
2. Sheraton Taipei Hotel. This U.S. chain may not scream luxury in the states, but the international brand has a reputation for elegance. Following a three-year, $60 million renovation in 2005, the Sheraton in Taipei is now a symbol of high society.
3. Ambience Hotel. One of a handful of charming boutique hotels in Taipei, the Ambience Hotel is striking inside and out. Its 10 stories are bright white, and rooms are stocked with designer furniture, name-brand products and flat-screen TVs.
4. Mandarin Oriental, Taipei. This hotel provides a luxurious escape in Taipei's business district with some of the city's largest guest rooms decked out with a contemporary Asian aesthetic, marble bathrooms, a two-floor spa and excellent Italian fare at Bencotto.
5. Shangri-La’s Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei. Clocking in at 43 stories tall, the Shangri-La’s Far Eastern Plaza Hotel prides itself on having some of the best vistas of the city. The hotel’s two pools, 420 luxurious guest rooms, fine dining and Sung-dynasty-inspired art easily makes it one of Taiwan’s best hotels.