Answers from Our Experts (2)
It’s hard to avoid the great pull of megaresort Atlantis when deciding where to stay in The Bahamas, since this literal ocean palace simply cannot be ignored. With upwards of six separate but harmonious resort properties in the mix, the grounds feel at once like a theme park and an exotic tropical playground, with pools at every turn and more options for where to relax, what to eat and how to play than previously thought possible. Of course, ‘getting away from it all’ might require a more remote and singular atmosphere, and The Bahamas is not at all short in that department either. Read on for Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the best places to stay in the Bahamas.
1. One & Only Ocean Club, Paradise Island. Exclusive and intimate, this resort (housed on the grounds of a former private estate) feels like checking into your very own colonial oceanfront home — in fact, James Bond did, in the movie Casino Royale, which was filmed at the resort. Indulge with a villa residence and you’ll have your very own private oceanfront plunge pool and dedicated 24-hour butler service.
2. The Cove at Atlantis. One of the newer hotel towers at the sprawling resort, The Cove is pure hypnotic luxury. With mind-bending architectural design throughout the open-air lobby area and rooms designed to literally whisk you away, you might actually feel like you’re the only one around in spite of the fact that endless attractions — from Dolphin Cay to the award-winning Mandara Spa — are all right there.
3. Graycliff Hotel, Nassau. Being by the beach isn’t the only draw here in The Bahamas, and the intimately tucked-away Graycliff Hotel will make you thrilled that you went for something a little different. Stately rooms and a plantation-style reception and lounge do a wonderful job of bringing Bahamian history to life, replete with old-world charm, romance and an ornate mosaic-bottomed pool.
4. Harborside Resort at Atlantis. One of the main appeals of staying at an all-inclusive resort is convenience, because when the whole family is in tow ease and accessibility are what’s important. The Harborside is a place that really takes this into account, what with the included unlimited use of various resort activities including AquaVenture Water Park, the ubiquitous pools, The Dig, the aquariums and of course, limitless beach access. who just want to check in and check out.
5. Bimini Bay Resort & Marina. Located on the ‘Out Island’ of Bimini (belonging to the subcategory of Bahama Islands that are truly remote-feeling and ‘out there’), this luxury resort is at once far-away and the center of a wealth of tropical activity, featuring chic accommodations, two full-service marinas, an infinity pool overlooking the ocean and the Fisherman's Village along with much much more.
In December of 2014, the luxury loding landscape of the Caribbean will be redefined with the debut of Baha Mar, a destination featuring a Rosewood hotel, an SLS property, a Grand Hyatt and the largest casino in the Caribbean. Taken together, the new Baha Mar is being heralded as The Bahamian Riviera, with shopping and dining amenities that truly cater to the jet set. The Cable Beach location is both convenient to the beautiful Lynden Pindling Airport and to historic Nassau. It also can be used as a jumping off point to the recreation, remote beaches, fishing and beauty of the Out Islands.