Answers from Our Experts (2)
Nature abounds in the Berkshires. Take your kids on hikes in the summer, hayrides in the fall, and cross-country skiing through the mountains in the winter. We’ve come up with a list of the best things to keep the kids (and you) intrigued:
1. Berkshires Museum. The Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield occupies kids with an aquarium, art house and even a mummy exhibit. The basement of the museum is an aquarium, complete with a petting pool so kids can play with the sea creatures. The museum also features dinosaur, minerals and innovations exhibits, as well as a fine art wing for the budding Picasso in your family.
2. Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum. The railway museum is catered to kids, but we're pretty sure you’ll love living out this storybook fantasy too. The Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum is a 90-minute, 20-mile roundtrip excursion that takes passengers through Lenox and Stockbridge onboard restored 1920s passenger cars. You'll cruise along the Housatonic River with a historic narration of the area from one of the conductors.
3. Skiing/snow sports. The Berkshires is home to some of New England's best skiing and snow sports for kids, thanks to its easy trails and mountains. You'll find a few black diamonds on the mountains here, but for the most part, the skiing and snowboarding here is easy and offers a lot of kid-friendly trails. Two of our favorite snow day spots include the Bousquet Ski Resort and Catamount Aerial Adventure Park. Bousquet is open year-round and offers downhill skiing and snow tubing in the winter, and waterslides and mini golf in the summer. Catamount welcomes snow lovers of all ages to take to their mountains, and also gives skiing and snowboarding lessons to novices.
4. Norman Rockwell Museum. Art appreciation isn't just for adults. The Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge features famous paintings of New England scenes from one of the most revered artists, as well as a special art zone for kids. Sign up for arts and crafts, classes and special activities.
5. Fun parks. New England plays host to various "fun parks" — from Cape Cod to the Berkshires — that feature gated park areas including mini golf, batting cages, watersides, and more. The Range in North Adams has an 18-hole miniature golf course, batting cages, and driving ranges. Moxie Outdoor Adventures in Charlemont is where you'll find all your water activities, including whitewater rafting, kayaking trips and canoe trips.
At Blantyre, we welcome children over the age of 12 and encourage their participation in numerous seasonal activities, such as tennis, swimming, croquet, cross country skiing and snow shoeing — to name a few. Beyond our front gate, the best things to do with kids are:
1. Visit the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge (20 minutes away) to enjoy original illustrated works and interactive displays of American life.
2. Go for an invigorating hike on Monument Mountain (20 minutes away).
3. See an exciting exhibit at MassMOCA (50 minutes away), one of the largest centers for contemporary visual installations and performing arts in the country.
4. Spend an afternoon at Jiminy Peak Mountain Adventure Park (35 minutes away), featuring an Alpine super slide, giant swing rides, Euro bungee trampoline, rock climbing and a mountain coaster.
5. Experience authentic Quaker daily life in Hancock Shaker Village (20 minutes away).